Best Things to Do For Your Last Minute Valentine's Day Plans
Let me guess, you’ve stumbled onto this post because, like the majority of the nation, you procrastinated your Valentine’s Day plans.
Don’t fret, more than 50% of restaurant reservations and product orders (chocolates, edible arrangements, flower deliveries, etc.) are completed the 5 days leading up to the holiday.
So really, you’re not alone.
Whether you’re celebrating with your crush, your love, your mom, or your galentines, make this year extra special.
If you’re in Philly and hoping to still grab a table for two at a top tier restaurant, you’re surprisingly in luck. Okay maybe not A-Team restaurants, BUT hey Nick Foles wasn't too shabby as the B-Team now was he? ;) The following places still have availability (at least the last time I called they did…)
1. Bud & Marilyns - Order the crispy cheese curds with burnt scallion ranch & thank me later. They also have a VDay menu if you’d rather that. It’s priced at $55 per person.
Cheese curds + frosé!
2. Lolita This place has a great $5 happy hour at the bar from 5-6:30 so take advantage of that!
3. Little Nonna’s Definitely on the pricier end as this restaurant has a set menu of $65 per person, BUT it’s 3 courses + dessert so you really can’t complain.
4. South Don’t let the North Broad location throw you off, this place has a great happy hour from 4-7, a swanky, southern atmosphere, and a preset VDay menu ranging from $45 to $65 per person.
5. Kei Sushi Pretty new to the Philly sushi scene is Kei. Their fish is really fresh & really tasty! This is a great date night spot and the best part of all is it’s BYO. They even have an Eagles specialty roll — perfect for last week’s win!
The Phillies roll
(with a couple adjustments)
6. Butcher Bar The roasted mushroom, spinach & ricotta tart is on the chef’s valentine’s day tasting menu so personally, I’m sold. $65 per person.
7. Garces Trading Company Definitely not vegan or vegetarian friendly, but Garces is offering a $55 preset menu with 3 meat/seafood heavy courses + dessert. Really good bang for your buck if you ask me.
8. Valanni This is a hidden gem in Philly, in my opinion. True authentic Mediterranean food with a fun, lively atmosphere. This place has the same deal as the majority — 3 courses + dessert for a set price. But again, for my veggie-loving friends, this place isn’t for you this Valentine’s Day.
9. Russet Not always suggested, but should be for those who are adventurous eaters, especially for date night. This place is cozy + intimate with very fresh ingredients (we're talking farm to table) and bold tastes. Don’t forget to bring a bottle to cheers with! This place is BYO :)
Spaghetti alla chitarra with squash putanesca
Photo Courtesy of @RussetPhilly
10. Barra Rossa Sorry, but who doesn’t want wine, pizza, and pasta for Valentine’s Day? Just add a box of chocolates to that list and we’re good! And great news for all those gluten sensitive peeps out there — all their pastas + pizzas can be made with gluten free pasta + dough. Woohoo!
11. Bufad If you’re not in the center city mood, Bufad is the move. Located on Spring Garden this place is de-lish & affordable! They’re offering a four course meal for $50 PER COUPLE. Hello, that’s a deal!
12. Lucha Cartel Looking for some Mexican but didn’t book that res 3 months ago for El Vez? Lucha Cartel still has some availability and their everything is good! What’s nice about this place for VDay is they’re offering a chef’s choice $35 per person pre-fixe 3-course menu, BUT you can still order a la carte from their regular menu. Their pineapple jalepeño marg is un-real.
Lucha Cartel at night
Photo courtesy of @Social1028_
13. Your kitchen at home :) Don’t forget the beauty in a home cooked meal with love in every bite!
If you’re not into a nice meal for Valentine’s Day (…then IDK why you’re on my blog, JK!) there’s still lots to do instead!
1. One of the cutest things I’ve seen advertised is The Clay Studio’s, “Date Night!” You and your whoever can learn and craft a magnificent masterpiece while indulging in chocolate, champagne, and wine. I believe classes are all booked up as of now, BUT you can join their waitlist!
2. The classic rom com that takes place in a cold city over Valentine’s Day always has to have the skating scene. Create your own romantic night at either ice skating rink in Philadelphia tomorrow night. The Rothman Institute Ice Rink at Dilworth Park is offering two-for-one admission plus food and drink specials in the cabin. And the Blue Cross RiverRink Winterfest is providing a package for $25. Your ticket provides you chocolate, flowers, photo booth access, ice skating, and rentals. Not too shabby if you ask me!
Rothman Institute Ice Rink
Photo courtesy of @bschoonover
3. If you’re up for a quick trip, definitely head west to Longwood Gardens. From 9am-5pm they’re open for the public to roam around the property and check out their gorgeous “Orchid Extravaganza” that is set up for Valentine’s Day. Adult tickets are $23 and only $20 for college students. Make sure to bring your ID!
Urns filled with yellow Cymbidium orchids
Photo courtesy of @LongwoodGardens
4. If you think this whole holiday is a joke, join everyone else who thinks that at the Helium Comedy Club. At 8pm Chip Chantry (television writer and stand up comedian) will take the stage alongside Abby Rosenquist (stand up comedian at The Stand Comedy Club in NYC). Heads up, this show is 21+ only. Tickets are $25.
5. If you’d rather just walk around and keep is super casual, take a stroll up and down the Benjamin Franklin Parkway. There you will find these translucent domes with super cool patterns known as the Winter Fountains. The reason behind this “exhibit” is it’s the city’s 14-month celebration honoring the 100th anniversary of the avenue’s groundbreaking!
The 4 spots where the winter fountains are!
Photo courtesy of google :)
6. The LOVE sculpture is back! Tuesday the 13th the sculpture will have its very own parade before being placed back in its permanent spot in LOVE Park. This is also a great place to take a walk to if you’d rather be on the move, site seeing this holiday.
the LOVE sign
Photo courtesy of @NJWedding
7. Attention! Attention! A FREE event! Okay now that I have you for a moment, check this out. The Kimmel Center is hosting a free event tomorrow evening at 9pm called the #KimmelMingle. It’s a chance for people to meet one another and schmooze in a fancy place before the free live concert begins. Kind of cool if you’re looking for something unique!
8. Hey, all the single ladies (and men, too!). Have you always wanted to go speed dating, but didn’t really know where or when? Well, what better of a time than the most romantic night of the year! Stratus Rooftop Lounge is hosting Relish Dating’s “Be My Valentine Bash - Singles Night” where dozens of men and women seeking love will be able to meet one another in a comfortable setting. Tickets aren’t cheap, so that’s a good sign that the people going are serious about this!
9. Light some candles, watch a classic movie that you love, and have a romantic night in. Nothing wrong with keeping it simple + sweet!
Photo courtesy of @theemillennialwoman
Whether you're celebrating or not, enjoy & happy hump day! No pun intended ;)